Prosecutors in Knox appeal urge jurors to ignore media
Prosecutors in US student Amanda Knox's appeal against her conviction for the murder of her British housemate urged jurors not to be swayed by "an obsessive media campaign" on Friday.
As the hearing enters its final stages, Knox entered the packed court looking anxious, and did not stop to greet her parents and friends.
Dressed in dark trousers and a pink top, the 24-year old pinched her brow and kept her head low as she sat across from the jury and the prosecution began an intense two days of final arguments.
Chief prosecutor Giovanni Galati stood first to address the jury and called on them "to look past the confusion surrounding the appeal."
Fellow prosecutor Giancarlo Costagliola asked the court to keep in their thoughts the family of British student Meredith Kercher, whose family is expected in court on Monday.
He said the "obsessive media campaign" made "everyone feel like the parents of Amanda Knox" and asked the jury to "feel like the parents of Meredith Kercher."
Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison in 2009 but has always protested her innocence, and the appeal hearing has cast serious doubts on the DNA evidence that helped convict her and her Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito.
As dozens of camera crews and photographers crowded each other for pictures of Knox, Costagliola warned the jury not to be swayed by the "fiction" conjured up an "unbearable" media coverage.
"The parallel mediatic trial is not reality, when you withdraw to consult and decide on a verdict you must remember that reality is what you hear here in the court," he said.
The appeal has sparked the same media frenzy as the trial. Knox was originally portrayed by mass media as a lascivious party girl whose angelic features masked a devilish interior.
But when independent experts called in by the appeal judge cast doubts on the original forensic procedures, some tabloid media turned to supporting the blonde Seattle native, heaping criticism on the Italian judicial system.
Police who had attended the crime scene were accused by the defence of failing to follow international procedures after they were captured on film contaminating the DNA traces by using dirty gloves to collect the evidence.
The prosecution insisted that even if the original forensic evidence used to convict the pair -- traces of the lovers' DNA on the murder weapon and a torn bra clip -- is excluded, "the DNA is not the only evidence at play here."
They resumed the evidence used in the first trial to place the pair on the scene, from bloody footprints to the homeless man who claims he saw Knox and Sollecito on the night of the murder, undermining their alibis.
During police questioning in the days after the gruesome killing, Knox said she had been in the house at the time of the murder and had heard Kercher's screams. She also identified a bar owner, Patrice Lumumba, as the murderer.
Lumumba was subsequently found to have a rock-solid alibi and Knox said she had been struck by a police officer and had spoken without a lawyer present.
Kercher, 21, an exchange student from Leeds University, was found half-naked with her throat slashed in a pool of blood in her bedroom in the cottage that she shared with Knox in the medieval town of Perugia on November 2, 2007.
Prosecutors at the original trial said the murder was the result of a drug-fuelled sexual assault by Knox, Sollecito, and a third person, Rudy Guede, who has been convicted separately and is serving a 16-year sentence.
Guede, who denies murder but admits having sex with Kercher that night, also said at the appeal trial that he believes Knox and Sollecito are guilty.
The appeal began in December 2010.
Next week the court will hear closing arguments from Francesco Maresca, the Kercher family's lawyer, as well as the final summing up by the defence. The result of the appeal is expected either next week or the week after.
© 2011 AFP