Prince William and Kate use TV interview for charity: report

6th December 2010, Comments 0 comments

Britain's Prince William and Kate Middleton are raising huge sums of money for charity from a television interview they gave immediately after their engagement, it was reported Monday.

The announcement last month that the son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana had finally proposed to his long-term girlfriend Kate sparked a global media storm, and their first joint interview became hot property.

"William and Catherine were aware that there was likely to be a demand for the interview and broadcasters would be prepared to pay for it," a source at St James' Palace told The Sun newspaper.

"They saw it as an opportunity to make money for the causes that are close to their hearts."

The tabloid suggested that broadcasters were paying up to 1,500 pounds (2,350 dollars, 1,770 euros) a minute for footage of the 20-minute interview, the first time Kate, 28, has spoken in public.

It will go towards the Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry, which William, also 28, set up with his younger brother last year to fund a number of charities focusing on young people, the environment and the armed forces.

A spokesman for ITN, which owns the rights to the interview, said it gave all TV stations free access to the interview for the first 24 hours, and would continue to provide it free to all broadcasters from Commonwealth countries.

"ITN does not disclose exact licensing charges, but the fees paid by non-Commonwealth realm broadcasters would vary on a case by case basis depending on usage terms," he said.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article