Prince William and Kate use TV interview for charity: palace

6th December 2010, Comments 0 comments

Britain's Prince William and Kate Middleton are raising huge sums of money for charity from a television interview they gave immediately after their engagement, the prince's office said Monday.

The announcement last month that the son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana had finally proposed to his long-term girlfriend Kate sparked a global media storm, and their first joint interview became hot property.

A spokeswoman from St James's Palace, William's offfice, said the funds would go towards the Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry, which William set up with his younger brother last year to fund a number of charities focusing on young people, the environment and the armed forces.

She said private broadcaster ITN, which owns the rights to the interview, "kindly agreed that the proceeds from the interview with Prince William and Miss Middleton will go to the Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry".

"It is entirely normal practice for broadcasters to charge for an interview once it ceases to be news,'" the spokeswoman added.

"ITN gave free access to all broadcasters for 24 hours, and will continue to provide footage free of charge to broadcasters from all Commonwealth realms."

The Sun newspaper suggested that broadcasters were paying up to 1,500 pounds (2,350 dollars, 1,770 euros) a minute for footage of the 20-minute interview, the first time Kate, 28, has spoken in public.

A spokesman for ITN, which owns the rights to the interview, said it gave all TV stations free access to the interview for the first 24 hours, and would continue to provide it free to all broadcasters from Commonwealth countries.

"ITN does not disclose exact licensing charges, but the fees paid by non-Commonwealth realm broadcasters would vary on a case by case basis depending on usage terms," he said.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article