Over 35 countries confirmed for London meeting on Libya

27th March 2011, Comments 0 comments

Foreign ministers from more than 35 countries have so far confirmed they will attend a London conference Tuesday to discuss coalition military action against Libya, Britain's Foreign Office said.

"US Secretary of State (Hillary) Clinton and the foreign ministers of over 35 other countries have already confirmed attendance," said the Foreign Office in a statement Sunday.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will be at the event, as will African Union Commission chairman Jean Ping, said the statement.

All countries that have already contributed militarily to the UN Security Council resolution which mandated a no-fly zone over Libya would attend the meeting, it said. Those that are considering doing so will also be there.

The meeting would be attended by "a wide and inclusive range of countries and international organisations that have demonstrated a commitment to a better future for the people of Libya," said the Foreign Office.

"An immediate ceasefire, enforcement of the arms embargo and the no-fly zone and protection of civilians remain crucial," it said.

"But we also need to look to the future."

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article