One dead in shooting on British submarine

8th April 2011, Comments 0 comments

One person was killed and another has life-threatening injuries after a shooting Friday on board a British nuclear submarine docked in the English port of Southampton, police said.

Police said the incident was not terror-related.

The incident took place on HMS Astute, the British navy's newest and most advanced submarine.

Police and the Ministry of Defence refused to comment on reports that the person who died in the shooting was a Royal Navy officer.

Hampshire Police said in a statement: "In both cases next of kin have not been notified, but officers are in the process of informing the families.

"No further details about the injured people will be released until this has been done.

"Hampshire Constabulary and the MoD are keen to stress this incident is not terrorist-related."

The Astute caused headlines in October last year when it ran aground off the coast of Scotland and had to be towed home. It was then damaged in a collision with the tug and had to be repaired.

According to local media, the submarine was in the middle of a five-day visit to Southampton on England's south coast. It arrived on Wednesday carrying 98 crew members, following 46 days at sea.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article