Nigella Lawson 'barred from US' after cocaine admission
Celebrity British chef Nigella Lawson has reportedly been barred from entering the United States following her courtroom admission that she had taken cocaine, raising questions Thursday over her successful TV career stateside.
The 54-year-old said last year she had taken cocaine occasionally in the past but was not addicted, as she gave evidence in the trial of two former personal assistants who were later cleared of fraud.
British police reviewed Lawson's evidence but announced they would not be bringing any charges against the so-called "Domestic Goddess".
The Daily Mail tabloid reported that the US has taken a tougher line, however, and had stopped the chef from boarding a flight from London to Los Angeles on Sunday because of her drug taking.
The newspaper said that Lawson, who split with wealthy art dealer Charles Saatchi in a bitter and public divorce last year, had checked in at Heathrow airport but after passing security was told she could not board the plane.
Lawson's publicists declined to comment but if confirmed, the incident could complicate the mother-of-two's starring role in US cooking talent show "The Taste".
The US has strict immigration laws regarding those with convictions or who have been arrested but officials can also exclude those who have admitted to illegal acts even though they have not been punished by the law.
But it was unclear why Lawson might be barred now, given that she has already travelled to the United States since her admission in December of cocaine use.
The celebrity chef, known for the sensual manner in which she samples food, said she had used cocaine with her late husband John Diamond when he was dying of cancer, and later during a difficult time in her relationship with Saatchi.
© 2014 AFP