New protest at British compound in Tehran: report

1st December 2011, Comments 0 comments

A new rally was to be held Thursday at a British diplomatic compound in Tehran, Mehr news agency reported, two days after it and another property housing the British embassy was stormed by Iranians.

A reporter for Mehr said "hundreds" of riot police had been deployed to the Qolhak Garden compound in the north of the capital ahead of the rally.

The new demonstration was called by "student associations" angry that Western diplomats on Thursday had visited the compound to inspect the destruction caused by Tuesday's incursion by hundreds of protesters, Mehr said.

Foreign media in Tehran were informed just before the demonstration that all anti-British protests were now off-limits to them -- an unprecedented restriction that adds to many other reporting curbs already in place.

As a result, it was impossible to confirm whether riot police were at the compound, and whether protesters were being deterred from again rampaging through the premises.

Iran's Press TV, which had covered Tuesday's violent scenes at the British embassy live, was on Thursday offering no footage of the new demonstration.

No other Iranian news outlet was immediately reporting the rally, either.

Around 40 ambassadors and diplomats, most of them from Western and European nations, on Thursday entered the Qolhak Garden compound to inspect the damage wreaked by the protesters on Tuesday.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article