Muslim extremists call off royal wedding protest
A Muslim extremist group which had threatened to demonstrate at the royal wedding said Wednesday it had abandoned its plans because of fears its members could be targeted by attacks.
Muslims Against Crusades announced they would stay away from Friday's wedding in an impromptu press conference outside the Houses of Parliament in London during which they were heckled by angry passers-by.
Campaign spokesman Abu Abbas, 22, called on all Muslims to stay away from the nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
"We believe the main issue is security for our people," he said.
Members of the group carried a banner with the words: "Wanted: Prince William... Modern Day Nazi."
British police said Tuesday that Muslims Against Crusades had refused to agree to strict conditions on a protest march during the wedding and had also failed to attend a meeting with police last week.
A banner on the group's website warns Prince William and his younger brother Harry, who are both members of Britain's armed forces, to "watch their backs".
Muslims Against Crusades gained notoriety by burning poppies, the symbol of remembrance for deaths in war, during a protest in London on Armistice Day last year.
© 2011 AFP