London Underground delays all-night service
London Underground (LU) on Thursday said it would delay the September 12 start of its all-night weekend service as negotiations continue with train drivers' trade unions on conditions and pay.
Union opposition to management proposals has so far led to two 24-hour strikes in the past few weeks.
A third strike which had been planned this week was suspended to allow time for further negotiation.
"Following two weeks of constructive talks with trade unions which led to the suspension of this week's planned strikes, LU has decided to defer the launch to allow for the successful conclusion of those talks," London Underground said in a statement.
LU managing director Nick Brown said: "Our objective is to reach an agreement that ends this dispute and delivers the Night Tube for Londoners this autumn."
"We believe we are not far from an agreement," he said.
London's Mayor Boris Johnson had already hinted that the start of the night-time weekend service would be delayed but the decision had not been formalised.
The all-night service would see trains running every 10 minutes on Friday and Saturday nights on five key lines crossing central London.
Trains currently stop at around 1:00am (0000 GMT) at weekends and midnight during the week.
© 2015 AFP