Jury fails to reach verdict in British terror trial

11th November 2014, Comments 0 comments

The case of a Turkish-born law student accused of planning an attack in Britain was thrown out of court on Tuesday after the jury failed to reach a majority verdict.

Erol Incedal was charged with "intending to commit or preparing acts of terrorism" and parts of the trial were held behind closed doors in a legal first for Britain.

The jury retired last Wednesday but was unable to come to a decision, and prosecutors have requested a re-trial.

The prosecution said that the 26-year-old may have wanted to target Tony Blair as he had a private address for the former prime minister, or to carry out an attack such as the one by Pakistani militants in the Indian city of Mumbai in 2008.

Incedal was also charged with owning a bomb-making manual and police said they had found coded messages about a Mumbai-style attack and a Kalashnikov rifle in a raid on his home.

The student had denied all the charges.

A judge earlier this year ruled that the entire trial should be held in secret because of security concerns but another court ruled that parts of it should be made public following an appeal by media organisations.


© 2014 AFP

0 Comments To This Article