Jordanians charged with bid to attack US, British officers

19th September 2010, Comments 0 comments

A military court on Sunday charged two Jordanian brothers with plotting to attack US and British officers in the country earlier this year, an official said.

The court also charged Alaeddin Abu Sarhan, 28 and his brother Mohammad, 23, with the illegal possession of weapons, but they pleaded not guilty, the state security court official told AFP.

"Mohammad traveled to Iraq in 2003 to fight the American troops, but returned to Jordan after the fall of Baghdad. Later, he convinced Alaeddin to attack foreign officers in Jordan," the official said.

The suspects began to track down targets across Jordan and "in June, Alaeddin followed three sport utility vehicles near Amman carrying a group of foreign officers.

"He called Mohammad to help him attack the cars, but his brother could not come because he was busy," the official said, adding that the security services had tapped their phones and were able to arrest the pair.

The official, citing the charge sheet, said that the "investigation showed that the vehicles were carrying US and British officers."

The trial was adjourned until September 28.

The two brothers, who are married and worked in farming, could face 15 years in jail if convicted.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article