Japanese royals to miss British prince's wedding: Jiji

18th March 2011, Comments 0 comments

Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako will not attend the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton because of the earthquake and tsunami, a report said Friday.

An official of the Japanese Imperial Household Agency said the British royal household had been informed of the decision.

Because Japan's Imperial couple were unable to attend the April 29 ceremony, arrangements were being made for the prince and princess to travel to the UK.

Emperor Akihito in a rare television address Wednesday expressed deep concern over the escalating nuclear crisis and said he prayed for people's safety after last week's quake-tsunami disaster.

The 77-year-old, who draws on the great respect of many Japanese, admitted in the pre-recorded comments that the country still did not know how many people had died in the March 11 twin disasters.

He thanked emergency personnel -- both from Japan and abroad -- for their efforts to locate the many missing and help survivors battling difficult conditions including increasingly cold temperatures in the affected zone.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article