Italy recalls envoy from Iran after British embassy attack
Italy said Thursday it was recalling its ambassador to Iran "for consultations" after the British embassy in Tehran was attacked by protesters this week.
Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi made the announcement at a press conference in Brussels that was reported by Italian media. A foreign ministry official in Rome confirmed the reports.
The ministry also advised Italians in Tehran to be "on heightened alert and exercise vigilance in their movements by avoiding going near mosques, religious processions and other types of assembly."
"Protests in Tehran and other major cities cannot be excluded," it said.
Terzi and other EU foreign ministers earlier on Thursday piled pressure on Iran over its contested nuclear programme, slapping sanctions on an extra 180 firms and individuals and threatening its vital oil sector.
France, Germany and the Netherlands have already recalled their ambassadors from Iran after the British embassy in Tehran was stormed on Tuesday.
© 2011 AFP