Italian tourists told to avoid crowds in London
Italy on Tuesday advised its nationals visiting London to avoid crowds after three nights of violence that have injured dozens and left parts of the British capital looking like a war zone.
"It is advisable to avoid any new crowd gatherings and to keep informed on the evolution of the situation," the foreign ministry said in a statement.
It said it had sent text messages advising caution to all Italians who are currently on holiday in London and are registered with the ministry.
Some 20,000 Italians visit London every year including many young people who attend English language courses in the city, tour operators said.
Andrea Giannetti, head of the main tour industry association Assotravel-Confindustria, said there had been only a few cancellations so far.
© 2011 AFP