Irish travellers win yet another reprieve on UK site

26th September 2011, Comments 0 comments

Residents battling eviction from Britain's biggest illegal travellers' site won yet another temporary reprieve on Monday as a judge granted them a four-day extension on their injunction.

Bailiffs acting for the Basildon Council local authority had been set to evict the Irish travellers last Monday, but a series of last-ditch legal moves have so far prevented the site being cleared.

The case affects 51 plots and up to 400 people living on the Dale Farm camp outside Basildon, east of London.

At London's High Cout, judge Antony Edwards-Stuart said the travellers were entitled to an injunction extension until Thursday when the courts can rule on the legality of their proposed removal.

He said there were "triable issues in relation to almost every plot" as to whether the steps Basildon Council proposed to take fall within the terms of the enforcement notices being used as the basis for eviction.

He said a further court hearing was necessary to determine the facts.

The travellers own the six-acre (2.4-hectare) site but lack planning permission to build on it.

The council has set aside £18 million ($27.8 million, 20.6 million euros) for the clearance.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article