Iran expresses regret over British embassy storming

29th November 2011, Comments 0 comments

Iran's foreign ministry Tuesday expressed regret over the "unacceptable" storming of the British embassy in Tehran, which police said would lead to prosecutions for those who took part.

In a statement, the foreign ministry expressed "regret for certain unacceptable behaviour by a small number of protesters in spite of efforts by the police" at the British embassy.

"The relevant authorities have been asked to take the necessary measures and look into this issue immediately," it said.

The ministry stressed the Iranian government's "commitment to protecting the rights of diplomats and diplomatic locations," and promised to follow up the incident "through legal and relevant channels."

Tehran police chief General Hossein Sajadinia told the Fars news agency several protesters who had entered the British embassy had been arrested and would be handed over to the courts.

He said police would launch an investigation into the incident.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article