Frenchmen face trial in Spain over death of British youth

26th August 2011, Comments 0 comments

A French court ruled Friday that two young men should be handed over to Spanish authorities investigating the fatal stabbing in July of a British teenager on the Costa Brava.

The pair were arrested in France last week by French police acting on a European arrest warrant issued by Spanish authorities following the death of 15-year-old Andrew Milroy in a late-night clash in Lloret del Mar.

The suspects, both 21, returned to France from the Spanish resort on the day after the killing. They have three days to appeal the court's decision, and their lawyers said they have not yet decided whether to do so.

In the absence of an appeal, they will be sent back within 10 days to Spain, where they face a possible murder charge.

Milroy's nother was originally from Richmond, in the southern English county of Surrey, but British reports said she moved to Spain 26 years ago and the young victim was attending a Spanish school in his local community.

Spanish press reports at the time suggested he and a group of friends had intervened to break up a fight between French youths, but French prosecutors say the precise sequence of events is unclear.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article