France suspends air freight from Yemen: aviation chiefs

30th October 2010, Comments 0 comments

France has suspended air freight from Yemen in the wake of the interception of two parcel bombs in Dubai and Britain, civil aviation chiefs here said Saturday.

"Following the discovery on two planes of suspect parcels from Yemen, and the launch of an international alert by the US authorities," France's civil aviation authority (DGAC) had called on "all air companies to suspend all loading of freight cargo from Yemen," said a DGAC statement.

The statement described the move as a precautionary measure.

Once the European transport ministries concerned had been consulted any other measures that might be needed would be taken, it added.

Dubai's police have described one of the two devices as a parcel bomb, while British interior minister Theresa May said the device found in England could have brought down the US-bound cargo plane that was carrying it.

The two parcels from Yemen had been bound for synagogues in the US city of Chicago.

US President Barack Obama said the two parcels, whose discovery on Friday after a tip-off from Saudi Arabia sparked an international security alert, were a "credible terrorist threat."

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article