Fans crash websites in rush for Take That tickets

29th October 2010, Comments 0 comments

Websites selling tickets for Take That's new tour crashed Friday due to a deluge of fans desperate to see the band's original line-up take to the stage for the first time in 16 years.

The Ticketmaster agency reported "totally unprecedented demand" after tickets for the British band's European tour next year went on sale at 9:00am (0800 GMT), and fans complained about hours of trying online and on the phone.

Organisers responded by adding 11 British dates to the already 20-odd dates announced this week as part of the "Progress Live 2011" tour, the first with all five members since Robbie Williams' acrimonious departure in 1995.

After forging his own highly successful solo career, Williams returned to the Take That fold in July, to huge excitement among fans.

On the official Facebook site for the boy band, some people complained of trying for up to six hours online and on the phone without getting through, with others triumphantly declaring: "Got mine so don't care!"

A Ticketmaster statement said: "Due to totally unprecedented demand, all ticket agents across the UK, including Ticketmaster, struggled to cope with the sheer volume of people logging onto websites to buy Take That tickets."

It said its website had recorded more than 20 million page views during the day, "far in excess" of the demand in March last year when tickets for Michael Jackson's comeback gig went on sale. It urged fans to "keep trying."

Take That disbanded in 1996 following Williams' departure but reunited in 2005 to huge commercial success and their last tour, "Circus Live" in 2009, became the fastest-selling tour of all time in Britain.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article