Ex-footballer Gray settles newspaper phone-hacking case
Former Scottish footballer and pundit Andy Gray on Tuesday accepted damages of £20,000 ($32,480, 22,540 euros) from the News of the World newspaper after it hacked his mobile phone.
The ex-Everton striker follows in the footsteps of British actress Sienna Miller, whom was awarded £100,000 by parent company News Group Newspapers (NGN) after she discovered her voicemail messages had been intercepted.
Gray reached an agreement with NGN for compensation plus legal costs after fighting "tooth and nail" to establish he had been a victim of the crime, said his lawyers.
"When Andy first contacted the News of the World about this matter it denied any liability," John Kelly, a partner at Schillings law firm which represented Gray, said.
"Andy was forced to issue legal proceedings and had to fight tooth and nail to establish that he had been the victim of unlawful phone hacking.
"The News of the World has since that time apologised to Andy and other victims, has agreed that it won't target Andy in this way again and has now agreed to pay Andy substantial damages and his legal costs," he added.
Gray now works for radio station Talksport after being sacked by Sky for making sexist comments about a football lineswoman which were caught on camera.
Two months ago the News of the World apologised for phone-hacking in a controversy that has involved a string of high-profile figures and in 2007 led to the jailing of a journalist and a private investigator.
Police were forced to reopen an investigation in January following a stream of fresh allegations, and have arrested several journalists from the newspaper in recent months.
© 2011 AFP