Ex-Le Monde chief who sparked newsroom rebellion joins Guardian

9th September 2014, Comments 0 comments

The former managing editor of France's Le Monde who resigned following a newsroom rebellion over her management style is joining the Guardian as a columnist and leader writer, the British daily said Tuesday.

Natalie Nougayrede resigned in May after a large chunk of Le Monde's chief editors stepped down in anger at top management's perceived lack of communication, as the loss-making paper struggles to find its way in the digital era.

Much of the anger had been directed at Nougayrede -- the first woman to head the prestigious French daily -- whom journalists accused of implementing reforms without consulting them.

Le Monde, a centre-left daily founded in 1944, is France's newspaper of record and played a prominent role in the coverage of the revelations of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

But like many newspapers, it has suffered as the Internet eats into readership and advertising.

On Tuesday, the Guardian announced Nougayrede -- who is bilingual in English and French -- had been recruited as a columnist, leader writer and foreign affairs commentator, and would join the daily next month.

"A highly-respected foreign and diplomatic correspondent, Nougayrede took charge of Le Monde in 2013 and was responsible for leading its digital and editorial transformation, with a particular focus on investigative journalism and quality long-form reporting," the daily said in a statement.

"Under her leadership, Le Monde consolidated its position as the biggest information website in France and widened its global audience."

Among other tasks, Nougayrede will write a regular column for the Guardian on foreign affairs, with a strong focus on Europe, the paper said.


© 2014 AFP

0 Comments To This Article