Designer Galliano says sorry but denies anti-semitism

2nd March 2011, Comments 0 comments

John Galliano said Wednesday he "completely" denied charges of anti-semitism against him, but "unreservedly" apologised for the behaviour that lost him his job as chief designer at Christian Dior.

"I completely deny the claims made against me and have fully co-operated with the police investigation," the British designer said, following his arrest in Paris Thursday for alleged assault and accusations that he made anti-Semitic remarks.

"Anti-semitism and racism have no part in our society," he said in a statement issued by London lawyers Harbottle and Lewis, adding: "I unreservedly apologise for my behaviour in causing any offence."

Galliano, considered one of the finest designers of his generation, was sacked by French fashion house Dior on Tuesday after a video surfaced showing him insulting people in a Paris cafe and declaring "I love Hitler".

The British couturier, 50, had already been suspended by the historic firm after he was arrested by French police over allegations that he had subjected a couple to a drunken, anti-semitic and racist tirade at the same cafe.

The scandal has sent shockwaves around the fashion world and overshadowed Paris Fashion Week, where industry insiders expressed their admiration for his genius as well as their shock at his downfall.

"I'll miss you John, you're so talented," wrote the 24-year-old Canadian supermodel Jessica Stam on her Twitter feed, adding: "I love the Jews and what he said is awful, but also sad to watch him leave Dior."

Galliano said in the statement he had not commented since his arrest last Thursday on the advice of his lawyers, but had decided to speak up following "the continuing delays at the French prosecutor's office".

Denying the claims against him, he confirmed he would sue his accusers, who he said had verbally harassed him and tried to hit him with a chair after "having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing".

"For these reasons I have commenced proceedings for defamation and the threats made against me," he said.

Galliano did not specifically mention another claim against him by a woman who said he had subjected her to a verbal assault last year, or the video, which was posted on the Internet by The Sun newspaper this week.

In the footage, a visibly drunk Galliano tells another couple, in the same Paris bar, La Perle, "I love Hitler". He adds: "People like you would be dead. Your mothers, your forefathers, would all be fucking gassed."

Asked where he is from, Galliano replies: "Your arsehole."

The release of the video prompted Dior to sack their star designer, saying his behaviour and language was "particularly odious".

The fashion house's managing director Sidney Toledano said: "I condemn in the strongest terms the things said by John Galliano, which are in complete opposition to the essential values that have always been defended by the Christian Dior house."

In the statement, Galliano acknowledged he had let people down and said he was "seeking help", although he did not specify how, or for what.

"I fully accept that the accusations made against me have greatly shocked and upset people," the Gibraltar-born designer said.

"I must take responsibility for the circumstances in which I found myself and for allowing myself to be seen to be behaving in the worst possible light.

"I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and that I must work hard to gain people's understanding and compassion."

He added: "I have fought my entire life against prejudice, intolerance and discrimination, having been subjected to it myself."

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article