Britons released from detention in Afghanistan: London

2nd August 2011, Comments 0 comments

Two British nationals, a man and a woman, who were detained by NATO forces in Afghanistan last month have been released, the Ministry of Defence in London said Tuesday.

"We can confirm, in accordance with UK detention policy, that two individuals detained by ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) forces in mid-July were released from detention in Kandahar on 29 July," a spokesman said.

He declined to give any further details about the pair.

The Ministry of Defence announced their detention on July 21, saying it had taken place the previous week, but gave no reason for it.

It said it had been a joint operation by British and Afghan forces and the pair were being held in Kandahar in southern Afghanistan for questioning.

A Home Office spokeswoman refused to comment on whether the pair, who have dual nationalities, will now be allowed back to Britain. She said: "We do not routinely comment on individual cases."

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article