British travel writer killed in Morocco blast: newspaper

30th April 2011, Comments 0 comments

A British travel writer was among 16 people killed in a bomb attack on a Moroccan cafe, a newspaper that he used to work for said on Friday.

Peter Moss, 59, from London, died in the blast on Thursday that hit the terrace of the Argana, a popular tourist cafe in Marrakesh's main square, according to the Jewish Chronicle paper.

Father-of-two Moss was a writer, comedian and broadcaster, according to the London-based publication.

Alistair Burt, a junior Foreign Office minister with responsibility for North Africa, said a Briton was believed to have been killed in the attack and contact had been made with next of kin.

A Foreign Office spokesman refused to confirm the individual's identity, however.

"We believe that a British National was amongst the 16 people killed," Burt said in a statement.

"We are in touch with next of kin and are offering them full consular support. An FCO [Foreign and Commonwealth Office] Rapid Deployment Team arrived this morning to supplement our team in Marrakesh."

Moroccans, French nationals and Canadians were also among those who died in the explosion, which Moroccan authorities believe was set off remotely and bore the hallmarks of terrorist outfit Al-Qaeda.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article