British rocker Doherty faces no charges over death

12th May 2011, Comments 0 comments

British rock star Pete Doherty will not face criminal charges over the death of a partygoer who fell from a balcony shortly after the pair had a row, prosecutors said on Thursday.

The family of Mark Blanco, 30, had campaigned for criminal proceedings to be brought over his death at a London party in December 2006.

Blanco was involved in a confrontation with Doherty, the 32-year-old Babyshambles frontman and former lover of supermodel Kate Moss, along with the star's minder and another man shortly before he fell to his death.

Doherty, currently on a tour of Britain and Ireland, was questioned over the death but never arrested.

Prosecutors said on Thursday there was insufficent evidence to bring criminal charges.

"None of the evidence is capable of establishing to the required standard that Mr Blanco was thrown or pushed from the balcony or that any other individual was present at the time he fell," said Jenny Hopkins, from the Crown Prosecution Service.

The dead man's mother Sheila Blanco lashed out at the decision: "It is a police cover-up -- I really did not expect anything better." She added the family were undecided what their next steps would be.

Two police reports and an inquest had already failed to conclusively establish what caused Blanco to fall to his death.

Doherty, who shot to fame with his old band The Libertines, is likely to be handed a jail term later this month after pleading guilty to possession of cocaine in a separate case.

He was one of four people arrested following the suspected overdose death of filmmaker Robyn Whitehead, 27 in January last year.

Doherty has had recurring problems with drugs, alcohol and driving offences and he has already served time in prison.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article