British police release video of royal attack suspects

4th January 2011, Comments 0 comments

British police released footage Tuesday of several suspects wanted in connection with an attack on the car of Prince Charles and his wife Camilla during violent student protests in London last month.

The images issued by London's Metropolitan Police show three people including a woman whom police want to question over the incident on December 9 in which rioters surrounded the royal couple's Rolls Royce.

Officials have said that the protesters at one point made contact with Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall -- reportedly by poking her in the ribs with a stick through the window of the vehicle.

"Although the images are grainy, officers believe members of the public will be able to recognise the individuals featured," Scotland Yard said in a statement.

"The images and footage show a woman striking the royal car and breaking the back window of one of the convoy vehicles."

The video shows rioters surrounding the vintage car in central London's Regent Street shopping area as Charles, the heir to the throne, and Camilla were on their way to a gala charity performance.

A window on Charles' side of the car was smashed, while the back of the car was spattered with paint.

The incident took place during the most violent in a series of protests against plans by Prime Minister David Cameron's coalition to triple university fees.

Britain's top policeman, Metropolitan Police chief Paul Stephenson, reportedly offered to quit over the security lapse -- a serious embarrassment for the police ahead of the wedding of Charles' son Prince William next year.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article