British police in new phone hacking arrest
British police investigating the phone-hacking scandal that led to the closure of the News of the World arrested a 41-year-old man on Thursday, Scotland Yard said.
The arrest is the 18th made by officers working on Operation Weeting, the investigation into phone hacking set up in January. The person was not identified.
"On 7 December 2011 officers from Operation Weeting arrested a man in connection with phone hacking and perverting the course of justice," London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.
The man was arrested at 0700 GMT at an address in London and was being held in custody at a south London police station, it said.
Rebekah Brooks, a former top executive in Rupert Murdoch's newspaper empire, and Andy Coulson, a former News of the World editor and Prime Minister David Cameron's former media chief, are among those previously arrested.
The Murdoch-owned News of the World was closed in July amid a storm of phone-hacking allegations, including that a private investigator had hacked the voicemail of a murdered teenage girl.
The scandal prompted the government to establish a judge-led inquiry into the ethics of the press, which started hearing witness testimony last month.
© 2011 AFP