British police arrest man after shooting on submarine

8th April 2011, Comments 0 comments

A man was arrested Friday after a shooting on board a British nuclear-powered submarine docked in the southern English port of Southampton, police said, adding that the incident was not terror-related.

Two people are believed to have been injured in the incident on HMS Astute, the navy's newest submarine, they said, but could not confirm reports by local media that one of the people had died.

The Astute caused headlines in October last year when it ran aground off the coast of Scotland and had to be towed home. To add insult to injury, it was damaged in a collision with the tug and had to be repaired.

A police spokesman said: "Hampshire police were called by their Ministry of Defence (MoD) colleagues at 12:12 pm (1112 GMT) today and are currently liaising with them to establish the exact circumstances of the incident.

"It is believed two people have sustained injuries as a result of gun shots being discharged on the vessel. People should be reassured there is no risk to public safety.

"Hampshire Constabulary and the MoD are keen to stress this incident is not terrorist related."

According to local media, the submarine was in the middle of a five-day visit to Southampton. It arrived on Wednesday carrying 98 crew members, following 46 days at sea.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article