British diplomat injured in Yemen attack: ministry

6th October 2010, Comments 0 comments

Britain's foreign ministry said a diplomat suffered minor injuries on Wednesday in an attack on a British embassy car in the Yemeni capital Sanaa.

Witnesses in Sanaa said earlier that three people were wounded when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the vehicle about three kilometres (two miles) from the British embassy.

"We can confirm an attack involving a British embassy vehicle in Sanaa this morning. There was one minor casualty among British embassy staff, and no other casualties," a Foreign Office spokesman said.

Foreign Secretary William Hague said the blast was "a reminder that we have some way to go" in efforts to improve security in Yemen, which faces a growing threat from Al-Qaeda.

"All our diplomats there are remaining at home or in the embassy," he told BBC radio. "It is a difficult and dangerous place to work."

In April a suicide bomber hurled himself at the British ambassador's two-car convoy in a Sanaa street as it neared the British embassy compound, wounding three bystanders.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the group's local branch, later claimed responsibility for the attack, which saw the embassy closed for two weeks.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article