British SAS soldiers on Kadhafi hunt in Libya: report

1st September 2011, Comments 0 comments

British special forces soldiers are in Libya hunting for fallen leader Moamer Kadhafi, who they believe is still in the country after neighbouring Algeria denied him entry, ITV News reported Wednesday.

Large numbers of Special Air Service (SAS) officers are using ships docked off the Libyan coast to launch searches for the elusive strongman and his network of supporters, a source in the country told the news provider.

A smaller team is believed to be operating out of the eastern city of Benghazi.

Britain's Ministry of Defence on Wednesday refused to confirm the report, adding that it was government policy not to comment on special forces operations.

Algeria on Tuesday authorised the entry of Kadhafi's wife and three of his children for "strictly humanitarian reasons", but refused passage for the long-serving ruler, according to the report.

Kadhafi's son Seif al-Islam said on Wednesday that he was still in Tripoli and that the fight against rebels who captured the capital last week would go on, claiming his father was fine and still fighting.

But his message of defiance came as another Kadhafi son, Saadi, expressed readiness to surrender and the rebels announced the capture of Kadhafi's foreign minister Abdelati al-Obeidi.

Throughout the NATO campaign over Libya, Britain has been waging a covert operation to starve the Kadhafi regime of vital resources, the BBC reported Wednesday.

Prime Minister David Cameron established the "Libya Oil Cell" to coordinate operations within Libya to deprive Kadhafi of fuel, while ensuring that rebel fighters in the east still had access to the country's reserves, the BBC reported.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article