Britain 'urgently investigating' reports of Libya fatality

3rd March 2011, Comments 0 comments

Britain's Foreign Office said Thursday it was "urgently investigating" media reports that a British-Libyan man had been killed in Brega.

The Manchester Evening News publication reported that Khaled Attghdi, a father of seven from Whalley Range in Manchester, northwest England, had been killed in a bomb blast in the restive city.

It cited a close family friend, Nadia Handi, who said Attghdi's wife received a phone call on Wednesday saying her husband had been killed.

"She can't talk properly. She is just crying," Handi told the local paper. "All the children are crying. Nobody believes it. Everything is not fair, it is horrible."

The 40-year-old businessman had gone to Libya to help rescue his 20-year-old daughter from the capital Tripoli the newspaper said.

"We are aware of reports and urgently investigating," said a Foreign Office spokesman.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article