Britain says no injuries in attack on embassy car in Yemen

6th October 2010, Comments 0 comments

Britain's foreign ministry confirmed there had been an attack on a British embassy car in the Yemeni capital Sanaa Wednesday but said there were no serious injuries to diplomatic staff.

Witnesses in Sanaa had said earlier that three people were wounded when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the vehicle about three kilometres (two miles) from the British embassy.

"We can confirm there was an attack invovling a British embassy vehicle in Sanaa this morning and there are no serious injuries among British embassy staff," a Foreign Office spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman was unable to say if there were any other casualties.

In April a suicide bomber hurled himself at the British ambassador's two-car convoy in a Sanaa street as it neared the British embassy compound, wounding three bystanders.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the group's local branch, later claimed responsibility for the attack, which saw the embassy closed for two weeks.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article