Britain concerned over missing national in Cairo
Britain said Thursday it was "deeply concerned" about a British national who has gone missing in Cairo after reportedly being arrested during mass protests against the Egyptian regime.
"I am deeply concerned about Hisham Morsi, who was last seen being removed from Tahrir Square on 31 January 2011," said junior foreign minister Alistair Burt, as President Hosni Mubarak's regime tottered in the face of the protests. "Eye witnesses claim that he was arrested, but it is unclear by whom.
"We had been given public and private assurances by the Egyptian government that no activists remained in detention.
"In light of this, I call on the Egyptian authorities to urgently clarify whether Mr. Morsi has been arrested, and if so, to inform our embassy of his whereabouts and provide our embassy with full and immediate consular access."
Burt said he had raised Morsi's case with the Egyptian ambassador to London on Wednesday and the British embassy was petitioning authorities in Cairo.
The minister added: "The Egyptian government has committed itself to releasing all detained protestors, not to arrest anyone for expressing ideas and opinions and to stop arresting and harassing journalists, foreigners and members of the opposition.
"It is important that these commitments are implemented immediately."
© 2011 AFP