Britain 'appalled' by Delhi bombing

7th September 2011, Comments 0 comments

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said he was "appalled" by the deadly bomb attack on New Delhi's High Court on Wednesday and pledged Britain would stand by India in combating terrorism.

The powerful bomb, hidden in a briefcase, ripped through a busy crowd outside the court, killing more than 10 people and wounding dozens more.

"I was appalled to hear of the bomb blast outside the High Court in Delhi," Hague said in a statement.

"I condemn this cowardly attack and send my deepest condolences to those who have lost loved ones or who have been injured.

"The UK is committed to standing together with India in the fight against terrorism in all its forms and we will continue to work together to counter this threat."

He added: "Staff from the British high commission in New Delhi are in close contact with the Indian authorities and stand ready to provide consular support to any British nationals who may have been caught up in these events."

The device had been placed near an entrance gate reception area, where more than 100 people were queueing for passes to the court complex, located in the heart of the Indian capital.

It was the first major attack on Indian soil since triple blasts in Mumbai on July 13 killed 26 people.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article