BP boss admits could lose job over oil spill disaster
BP Chief Executive Tony Hayward admitted that his job could be under threat because of the huge Gulf of Mexico oil spill, according to an interview with The Times newspaper published on Friday.
"I think I will be judged by the response," he told the daily London newspaper in an interview conducted at the British energy group's US headquarters in Houston, Texas.
"I don't feel my job is on the line but of course that might change," he added.
Hayward, 52, also revealed that he had received hate mail about the oil disaster and has had difficulty sleeping, according to the paper.
BP said Thursday that the enormous Gulf of Mexico oil spill had so far cost the embattled company around 450 million dollars (358 million euros).
The group's chief executive added that he would not watch television news or read newspaper reports about the disaster.
"I don't want my judgement to be clouded by what has been written," the BP chief added.
Hayward also told The Times that he would remain based in the United States until the crisis was contained.
"I will stay here until we have fixed it," he said.
Three weeks into the oil disaster, BP prepared for a new make-or-break bid to stop oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico by inserting a tube into the main leak that would siphon the crude up to a tanker on the surface.
Top oil executives faced growing Congressional criticism over safety flaws on the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded on April 20, claiming the lives of 11 workers and unleashing the environmental mess spilling an estimated 210,000 gallons of crude each day.
The rig was leased by BP from Transocean, the world's largest offshore drilling contractor.
© 2010 AFP