Argentina condemns British 'provocation' in Falklands

25th March 2015, Comments 0 comments

Argentina branded Britain's plans to beef up defenses in the Falklands a "provocation" and a pre-election stunt Wednesday.

On Tuesday, British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon said London would spend £180 million ($268 million) over 10 years to counter "continuous intimidation" from Argentina in the disputed South Atlantic islands, which the two countries went to war over in 1982.

"This business from Great Britain is a provocation, not just to Argentina but also to the United Nations," said Argentine Foreign Minister Hector Timerman.

The UN's Decolonization Committee adopted a resolution last year calling on Britain to negotiate with Argentina on the islands' status, as Buenos Aires has long demanded.

Britain argues the islanders should decide themselves which country they want to belong to. In a 2013 referendum, 99.8 percent voted to remain a British overseas territory.

Timerman said the British defense initiative "makes no sense."

"We are committed to dialogue and international law," he told local broadcaster Radio del Plata.

Timerman said Argentina would file a formal complaint with the UN and the Decolonization Committee, saying Britain "is expressly violating UN regulations on not altering the situation when there is a state of controversy regarding a territory's sovereignty."

President Cristina Kirchner's cabinet chief, Anibal Fernandez, said the plan was less about Argentine threats than the campaign for Britain's general elections on May 7.

"They're facing elections, so they resort to cheap nationalism to put all of British society on tenterhooks over a military matter," he told a press conference.

Argentina invaded the Falklands, which it calls the Malvinas, in April 1982, sparking a bloody war that it lost in just over two months.

The conflict claimed the lives of 649 Argentine soldiers, 255 Britons and three islanders.


© 2015 AFP

0 Comments To This Article