All insurgents dead in Kabul attack: British ambassador

19th August 2011, Comments 0 comments

All insurgents involved in an attack on the British Council cultural centre have now been killed, said the British ambassador to Kabul, William Patey.

The Foreign Office in London has said all British nationals affected by the "despicable" attack that left eight people dead on Friday are now safe.

Patey said there were injuries among the Nepalese ex-Gurkhas guarding the centre, but that none had died.

An official source speaking on condition of anonymity had earlier said the dead included "two to three Nepalese".

British government offices in Kabul are often guarded by Nepalese ex-Gurkha soldiers now working for private security firms.

Patey added that some inside the compound, which first came under attack in the early morning, had hidden in a safe room at the centre, including a British and a South African national who worked there, and a British security guard.

The Foreign Office earlier confirmed that the more than eight-hour attack had ended.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article