Actress Miller accepts £100,000 phone-hack damages

13th May 2011, Comments 0 comments

Actress Sienna Miller was set Friday to accept £100,000 (115,000 euros, $162,000) in damages from Britain's News of the World after the newspaper admitted hacking into her mobile phone messages.

Lawyers for Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, which publishes the popular tabloid, admitted this week at London's High Court unconditional liability for the wrongs alleged by the star and agreed to compensate her.

On Friday, her lawyer Hugh Tomlinson said that the actress would apply for £100,000 of damages and that a proposed settlement would include a disclosure of the extent of the paper's wrongdoing.

The court is expected to formalise the agreement in the coming week.

A spokesman for News International, News Group's parent company, said: "We are pleased that we have managed to bring this case to a satisfactory conclusion.

"Several weeks ago we admitted liability in certain cases and offered a genuine and unreserved apology. We hope to resolve other cases swiftly."

The paper printed an apology over the phone-hacking scandal last month and has set up a fund to pay compensation, reportedly worth around £20 million (23 million euros, $32 million), to pay victims.

Miller is just one of a long list of British celebrities to accuse the country's biggest-selling Sunday paper of hacking into mobile phone voicemail messages in the hunt for information to write stories.

Police, who reopened their investigation into the controversy earlier this year, have arrested several journalists from the newspaper in recent weeks.

The controversy has dogged the paper for the past few years.

In 2007, the initial police investigation led to the jailing of News of the World's royal correspondent Clive Goodman and a private investigator.

They had hacked into the mobile phone messages of Princes William and Harry.

Earlier this year the controversy led to the resignation of Andy Coulson, Prime Minister David Cameron's head of communications, who was editor of the News of the World when the scandal first erupted.

Coulson continues to deny wrongdoing but said the controversy was distracting him from his job with the prime minister.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article