Renting in the UK

Finding and renting UK property

Comments0 comments

Rented accommodation in the UK is available from three main providers: private landlords, local councils and housing associations.

Private landlords
Private landlords will normally rent their property at the market rate and their right to increase the rent depends on the type of tenancy. Make sure you get a tenancy agreement and read it carefully before committing to it.

A private landlord will normally ask for a deposit. You should make sure that the condition of the property and any items of furniture are recorded in an inventory and the tenancy agreement states:

  • how much the deposit is and who holds it,
  • when money can be deducted from the deposit (for unpaid rent or damage to property),
  • when you will get the deposit back.

You can contact your local council to see if they have a list of accredited landlords in your area. You can also search for a letting agent who is registered with the government backed National Approved Letting Scheme on their website.

See Renting from a private landlord in the UK.

If you are in doubt about your legal rights or obligations, you would be well advised to seek information from a Citizens Advice Bureau, your local authority’s housing advice service or a law centre, or to consult a solicitor.

Council and social housing

If you need rented accommodation, you may be eligible for council or housing association accommodation. Housing associations do not normally allocate their homes to people directly, only through the council's housing list. The council will allocate housing to those in greatest need on its list and property is often in great demand.

Student accommodation
Read our guide for students, Renting private student accommodation in the UK.

Housing options for disabled people
Whether you need to find out about care homes or want more information about living independently, the 'Home and housing options' information in the disabled people section has everything you'll need.

Sheltered housing for the over 60s
Sheltered housing may be for you if you are aged 60 or over and you want to live in a home that has been designed specifically for an older person's needs. Find out more from the 'Supported housing schemes' information in the disabled people section.


Direcgov / Expatica

Expatica Ask the Expert

Find accommodation in the UK using Expatica's housing search.

Expatica Ask the Expert
Need advice? Post your question on Expatica's free Ask the Expert service to see if we can help.

Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

0 Comments To This Article