Suspected Russian spammer denied bond: report

4th December 2010, Comments 0 comments

A 23-year-old Russian man charged with operating one of the world's largest spam e-mail generators has been ordered held without bond, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

The newspaper said the decision was taken at a hearing in federal court in Milwaukee.

Oleg Nikolaenko is charged with violating the CAN-SPAM Act by sending voluminous e-mails with altered header information, The Journal Sentinel noted.

He appeared at Friday's arraignment with his arms and legs chained, the report said.

His attorney, Christopher Van Wagner, entered a not guilty plea on his behalf, the paper pointed out

Assistant US Attorney Erica O'Neil had asked that Nikolaenko be detained because he has no ties to the United States and would be at risk to return to Russia, The Journal Sentinel noted.

He was arrested last month during a visit to Las Vegas.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article