S. Korean security adviser heads for US

9th August 2011, Comments 0 comments

South Korea's national security adviser left Tuesday for talks in the United States focusing on North Korea's nuclear weaponry amid new efforts to revive disarmament negotiations.

Chun Yung-Woo will meet his counterpart Tom Donilon and other senior officials, a government official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

During his three-day trip Chun is also likely to meet Stephen Bosworth, Washington's special envoy on North Korea policy, Yonhap news agency said.

Chun's talks are expected to consider follow-up measures after a bilateral meeting late last month between senior US and North Korean officials.

The North's First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-Gwan held a two-day meeting with Bosworth in New York and both sides termed it "constructive".

That meeting was preceded by rare talks in Bali between nuclear negotiators from the two Koreas.

South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-Hwan, currently on a four-day visit to Russia, held talks on the North with his counterpart Sergey Lavrov on Monday, said ministry spokesman Shin Maeng-Ho.

"The two sides agreed that the six-party talks should be substantial and practical if resumed," Shin said.

The six-party talks on the North's nuclear disarmament, grouping the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, China and Russia, have been at a standstill since December 2008.

Pyongyang stormed out of the negotiations in April 2009 and conducted its second nuclear test a month later.

It has repeatedly expressed a desire to go back, but the United States has urged it first to show more sincerity and to mend ties with the South.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article