Russia's Tatneft suspends operations in Syria

23rd December 2011, Comments 0 comments

Russian oil company Tatneft said it had suspended operations in Syria, where at least 40 people were killed Friday in suicide bombing attacks in the capital Damascus.

"For the moment, all operations have been suspended. The employees are staying put, but work has been suspended," Tatneft chief executive Shafagat Takhautdinov was quoted as saying at a Moscow news conference by Interfax news agency.

Russia's sixth-largest oil producer, Tatneft began producing oil earlier this year in eastern Syria's Abu Kamal region near the Iraqi border in a joint venture with the Syrian state-owned General Petroleum Corporation.

The South Kishima field has estimated recoverable oil reserves of 4.9 million tonnes.

Russia has opposed sanctions against Syria which Western nations have imposed over President Bashar al-Assad's violent crackdown on opposition supporters.

Syria said suicide bombers hit two security service bases in Damascus Friday, killing at least 40 people and casting a pall over the work of an Arab mission to oversee an end to nine months of bloodshed.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article