Russia slams 'indiscriminate' foreign attacks on Libya
Russia called for an end to "indiscriminate use of force" by foreign states taking part in military operations in Libya, the foreign ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
"We urge the relevant states to stop the indiscriminate use of force," foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said in the statement.
He said the air raids had included attacks on non-military targets in Libya, and had damaged roads, bridges, and a cardiology center.
"We proceed from the inadmissibility of using the Resolution 1973 mandate... for ends that clearly overstep its framework, which stipulates only measures to protect the civilian population," said the statement.
Aerial attacks on Tripoli, Tarhuna, Mamura and Jmail killed 48 and wounded over 150 civilians, the statement said.
France, United States and Britain carried out raids in Libya known as "Operation Oddysey Dawn" since Saturday.
Earlier this week Russia abstained from the UN Security Council vote on taking military action to halt Kadhafi's assault on rebels and ruled out taking part in such an operation.
On Sunday Russia said it is evacuating part of its embassy staff and other Russian citizens from Tripoli, taking them to Tunisia by car in the coming days.
Moscow on Saturday said it "regrets" the intervention in Libya which it said "was adopted in haste."
Russian media also quoted a Kremlin source as saying that Russia's ambassador to Tripoli had been dismissed, without citing a reason. The decision was made several hours before the Security Council's vote.
© 2011 AFP