OSCE pushes for resumption of talks on Transdniestr
The European security body OSCE called Tuesday for the resumption of official negotiations on Transdniestr, a small separatist pro-Russian territory of about 500,000 people in eastern Moldova.
Following a two-day informal meeting of the so-called 5+2 group here, OSCE special representative Bolat Nurgaliyev said he was optimistic that official negotiations could be resumed soon.
The 5+2 process brings together Moldova and Transdniestr under the mediation of Russia, Ukraine, the United States, the European Union and the Organisation for the Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
"We made substantial progress at this meeting," said ambassador Nurgaliyev.
"This was the fourth 5+2 meeting this year. Over the course of this year, the process has become more regular, more intensive and more productive, leading to optimism that we may meet the goal the 5+2 set at its first meeting this year: the resumption of official negotiations."
The Russian-speaking region of Transdniestr broke away from the rest of Romanian-speaking Moldova in a short war in early 1990s, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, but is not internationally recognised.
Formal talks on the territory's future were suspended in 2006.
Earlier this year, Moldova's Foreign Minister Iurie Leanca said Chisinau would not renounce Transdniestr.
"Transdniestr is part of the Republic of Moldova. I do not see any reason why we would renounce part of our territory and some of our citizens," he said.
"We do not have the right to think of the possibility of giving up. We must create the conditions for a reintegration that will not weaken Moldova any more."
© 2010 AFP