Death toll from alcohol poisoning in Turkey reaches four
A fourth Russian tour guide died Monday in a hospital in western Turkey following a mass outbreak of alcohol poisoning among guides on a yachting trip, Anatolia news agency said.
The latest fatality, 28 year-old Alexandr Zhbckov, died in Denizli province in western Turkey, Anatolia reported.
The victims, a man and three women, were among a group of 120 Russian tour guides on a yachting trip near the resort town of Bodrum in May when they fell ill after drinking spirits, media reports said.
Two of the guides died last week in Antalya province in south Turkey, while the third one died earlier in Moscow, media reports said.
Police reportedly found methanol, commonly used to mix bootleg alcohol, in whiskey on the boat.
Of the 30 victims admitted to hospital, 14 were said to be in a critical condition.
In 2009, 11 people, including three German students, died in Turkey after drinking bootleg spirits and 22 died in Turkey in 2005 after drinking adulterated raki, a powerful, aniseed-flavoured spirit.
© 2011 AFP