Bomb blast rocks 'Russian Big Brother'

24th April 2011, Comments 0 comments

A mysterious explosion on Sunday rocked the location for filming for the popular but controversial Russian equivalent of the television reality show "Big Brother", wounding a security guard.

Security guards early Sunday uncovered a suspicious rucksack placed just inside the perimeter fence on their morning round and it exploded when they tried to move it, the ITAR-TASS news agency reported.

"As a result one of the security guards received multiple flesh wounds and is currently in hospital," Irina Gumennaya, spokeswoman for the investigative committee in the Moscow region, told ITAR-TASS.

The TNT channel programme -- "Dom-2" (House-2) -- has won huge popularity in Russia as well as controversy with the contestants not shying away from explicit discussions or activities on camera.

The compound where the hopefuls live is in the Moscow area. The website said police later uncovered a second suspicious object on the territory.

Police also carried out searches of their living quarters to ensure no further explosives were found there, it said.

A spokesman for the TNT channel told the Interfax news agency that the programme would continue as normal and the incident would in no way lead to its closure.

The channel said that all the show's participants were aware of what had happened and the situation was "under control".

The motive for the attack appeared a mystery but Interfax quoted a security source as saying that one of the participants on the show -- named as Vlad Kadoni -- had been the target of threats.

It said police were now seeking the man who had made the threats. His name and the nature of the warnings were not made clear.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article