12 dead in Germany as cucumber crisis grows
Germany on Monday held crisis talks amid news that at least 12 people have died and hundreds have taken ill following an outbreak of a highly virulent strain of bacteria found on imported cucumbers.
Belgium and Russia banned the import of vegetables from Spain, believed to be the source of at least some of the contaminated cucumbers. And Madrid shot back saying it would seek financial compensation from the European Union for lost sales.
More than two weeks after the food poisoning outbreak was first reported in northern Germany, the number of confirmed or suspected cases has reached 1,200, according to media reports.
There was no immediate official confirmation of the figure, but the Stockholm-based European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has described the outbreak of the potentially deadly strain of E. coli as "one of the largest worldwide and the largest ever reported in Germany".
Authorities in Germany warned against eating raw vegetables after traces of the bacteria were found on organic cucumbers from Spain last week.
But officials said they are unsure what caused the sudden outbreak of enterohaemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) which can result in full-blown haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS), a disease that causes bloody diarrhoea and serious liver damage and possible death.
"Normally we see about 1,000 cases per year, but we've now had some 1,200 cases in just 10 days," Jan Galle, director of the Luedenscheid clinic in western Germany, told ZDF public television.
"And we know that this time the EHEC strain is especially virulent and resistant, and has led to a very high number of HUS" cases, he added.
The Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany's national disease institute, reported 329 confirmed HUS cases nationwide and three confirmed deaths.
But regional authorities, who have been quicker to report deaths linked to HUS, put the toll at 12 -- all but one women, and all but one in the north of the country.
Consumer Affairs Minister Ilse Aigner held an emergency meeting with Health Minister Daniel Bahr and regional state representatives.
The crisis has "taken a European dimension," she told a news conference, as the outbreak hit countries such as Britain, Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands. But most cases there appeared to involve people who had recently travelled to or from Germany.
RKI president Reinhard Burger said the source of the contamination had not yet been definitively identified.
"The source of the contamination is unclear," he told a news conference.
Last week his organisation said a study had shown that all those affected had eaten significantly above-average amounts of tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers.
Many German supermarkets and shops removed all Spanish-grown vegetables from their shelves.
Belgium said it was blocking cucumber imports from Spain, while Russia said it was banning vegetable imports from both Spain and Germany.
The Netherlands, which usually exports vast amounts of vegetables to Germany, said sales had collapsed because of fears associated with any vegetable. German farmers also said consumers were boycotting their vegetables.
Doctors remained unsure how to treat the disease which in the worst cases can result in total kidney failure.
"We have 61 adults hospitalised, 21 in intensive care," a spokeswoman for the Eppendorf University Clinic in Hamburg, where most cases are being treated clinic, said Monday evening.
The clinic has appealed for blood donations.
"We are using between 500 and 700 bags of plasma per day, compared to 60 normally. We're running out of supplies," the spokeswoman said.
Rolf Stahl, a neurologist at the clinic, said nearly a third of patients there had lost all kidney functions and were on dialysis.
Doctors were experimenting with a new type of monoclonal antibodies drug, Eculizumab, which, while not officially approved, has been administered to 11 patients in a bid to save their lives.
"The infection source remains active and we have to reckon with a growing number of cases," Bahr said.
© 2011 AFP