Top tips for family fun in the Netherlands
Stuck on where to take your kids out in the Netherlands for some holiday fun? We offer some tips for activities all year round.
When in doubt, get out with the kids. There are many playgrounds tucked between the houses, streets and shops but the Dutch transport system makes it easy to explore farther afield, and children travel free on certain passes. There are also abundant cycling facilities for family outings, or you might consider a bakfiet, the Dutch cargo bike.
For ideas, Dutch publisher J/M (www.jmouders.nl) covers a range of activities and age groups. You can search for ‘kids gids’ (kids guides) covering your area, or find children’s activities on www.uitkrant.nl (choose jeugd from the genres).
Get out and about:
- Fun for free. Visit a children's farm or kinderboerderij. These city farms can be found everywhere and often have activities on Wednesday afternoons (when Dutch schools are closed) such as a ‘cuddle hour' for bonding with bunnies and other small furry animals.
- Cultural fun. Dutch museums often have terrific audio guides for kids available in several languages. At science museums, such as NEMO in Amsterdam or the new Corpus museum near Den Haag, interactivity is the watchword. (And don't forget Sinteraklaas – here's our Sinterklaas survival guide).
- Hit the beach. The Netherlands has 451 kilometres of (windy) coastline accessible by car, bike, boat and public transport.
- Theme parks. Get into Dutch-style theme parks. De Efteling is a huge park offering (scary/exciting) rides for older kids and a Disney-esque experience with folkloric touches for younger ones.
- Top scoff. Who could resist poffertjes? Tinypuffed up pancakes served with butter and tons of powdered sugar! Find recipes on how to make them.
More fun with the kids
- Tips for entertaining the kids in the Netherlands: includes Zoos, theme parks, family friendly restaurants...
- Summer fun with the kids in the Netherlands: includes parks, cycling,boating, beaches, horseriding and Efteling.
- Amsterdam Mamas: child-friendly terraces / Favourite toy stores in Amsterdam
Updated from 2012.
Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.