World Court prosecutor heads to Ivory Coast this weekend

14th October 2011, Comments 0 comments

The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor said Friday he will head to Ivory Coast this weekend to probe atrocities committed during the country's post-election violence.

Judges at the ICC, based in The Hague, earlier this month given prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo permission to mount an inquiry of the violence that killed more than 3,000 people after November 28 elections.

"We will meet the victims and listen to their views and concerns," Moreno-Ocampo said in a statement that also thanked Ivory Coast's President Alassane Ouattara for extending an official invitation.

In their October 3 decision, ICC judges said there was evidence that both pro-Ouattara forces and fighters loyal to his political rival, ex-president Laurent Gbagbo, committed war crimes and crimes against humanity during a five-month standoff.

Moreno-Ocampo said his team would meet opposition representatives and Ivory's Coast's new Truth, Dialogue and Reconciliation Commission, tasked with probing more than a decade of conflict in the West African nation and promoting reconciliation.

Gbagbo has been under house arrest in the north of the country since April, when he was seized by pro-Ouattara forces.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article