Wilders sets up international alliance against Islam

Wilders sets up international alliance against Islam

7th August 2010, Comments 22 comments

Populist Dutch politician Geert Wilders is hoping to bring together the world’s anti-Islam forces.

The Freedom Party (PVV) leader has set up the International Freedom Alliance, which appears at the moment to be a network of individuals.

Wilders describes the IFA as an umbrella organisation for groups and individuals who “are fighting for freedom against Islam”. He stresses that it is not an international branch of his right-wing Freedom Party, a relative newcomer to Dutch domestic politics. The IFA is intended to be a network of kindred spirits from the United States, Canada, Great Britain and Germany.

He describes it as an outlet for the ideas of people who position themselves between conservative and ultra-right racist parties. It is highly unlikely to become a collective of extreme-rightwing parties. High on its list of priorities will be protecting the state of Israel. This should, from the outset, exclude all racist parties with anti-Semitic views.

Photo ©  Jacco de Boer

Rogue MP Geert Wilders campaigning against the European Constitution, Leeuwarden

Nothing new
Wilders is not saying who or what groups will join the IFA. Political scientist Meindert Fennema says the idea is nothing new:

“It won’t be a institutional network. I suspect it will be a collection of individuals. He’s a hero in America. Israelis see him as an attractive partner, because he has so many people behind him and is an important politician.”

On of the things Professor Fennema has in mind is the support which Wilders has built up since 2005 among neo-conservative Americans who back Israel through thick and thin. One of these is Daniel Pipes, director of the conservative think-tank, Middle East Forum, and another is the fundamentalist Christian Martin Mawyer.

European patriots
The leaders of Jewish settlements and extreme-right politicians in Israel form another bastion of support for Mr Wilders. Avigdor Lieberman, of the Yisrael Beiteinu (Israel is Our Home) party and Arieh Eldad, leader of the National Union, are both supporters. Mr Eldad wants all Palestinians to leave Israel and the Occupied Territories.

In 2008, many of these individuals met in Jerusalem and set up the Alliance of European Patriots. The group was mainly made up of Israelis and Americans. One exception was Belgian Philip Dewinter of the extreme-right Vlaams Belang (Flemish Interest) party who was also interested.

However, Wilders wanted nothing to do with Dewinter’s anti-Semitic agenda. He also was quick to distance himself from evangelical Christians such as Mr Mawyer because of their virulent anti-gay stance. The Alliance quickly disappeared from view. The only thing that all the ‘friends’ in the Wilders network have in common is their fear of Islam. They tend to find each other either too radical or too moderate.

Dutch far-right lawmaker Geert Wilders addresses a press conference in London, on 5 March 2010

Wilders as leader
Does a new international network against Islam stand a chance? Professor Fennema does not rule it out:

“I get the impression that Wilders will make a very good leader of this sort of movement, actually because he is not sectarian. He accepts that everyone has their own views and he says: What holds us together is that we see a bigger danger in Islam than do most governments.”

Although the IFA does not look set to become an extreme-rightwing bloc, Susi Dennison of the European Council of Foreign Relations does envisage dangers:

“I worry that this sort of international alliance will not take into account the diverse circumstances affecting different countries. It will be international anti-Islam thought en bloc and that is an alarming prospect.”

In any event, if the IFA succeeds in attracting international attention, it will provide Wilders with a major platform for his crusade against Islam.

Johan Huizinga
Radio Netherlands

Photo credits: Jacco de Boer; AFP

• Chuck posted:

on 28th September 2010, 16:03:13 - Reply

The writer of the article says "The only thing they have in common is fear of Islam". Excuse Me? Fear of Islam is hiding your head in the sand. Fear of Islam is knowing what is happening and not standing up to it because you are afraid of the thugs.
  • jim posted:

on 14th August 2010, 11:08:44 - Reply

Nourdin, you can join Felicity in the club.
  • Nourdin posted:

on 13th August 2010, 17:11:50 - Reply

Wilders is adult en he looks all the day in the Miror. He do not know that Islam the beautifull religion in the world. He is thinking that politics and Islam something new is, but thats not zo.
  • jim posted:

on 13th August 2010, 15:30:32 - Reply

There definitely are a lot of wierdos in this world.
  • Felicity posted:

on 12th August 2010, 16:08:09 - Reply

I tink dis is wot pple like Wilders enjoying seeing wars n continous wars, bloodshed all over the world. TQ fr the writer for calling Wilders d crusader against Islam. Feel sorry yet pathetic to peep who nver associate urself with other religion yet throwing criticism of other religion. Dun judge but urself. Wot religion i belief isnt other peep prob but learn to respect first. I have frenz fr all kinds of religion fr christian, Islam, Buddhist, even atheist, Catholic gays n no gays..we all get along well..peep like those who give nothing but horrible n negative comments abt Islam..go n read wot real Quran is abt. or Bible..esp some fellow Europeans who are afraid of the expanding of Islam all over the world.

Talking abt gays, I have many gay frens irregardless Muslim or non Muslim..can u belive one of the gay couple which both r my gdfrenz respect his Muslim partner tho hes a strong Catholic? His partner fam who is staunch Muslim accept it n both of them have gd relationship with both families n frenz like us. Like i said WE HAVE CHOICES IN LIFE! Everyone is diiferent n handle different matters differently. For me personally dats their choice of life who they want to be with but wot Wilders is trying to advocate hatred fr the ignorant n shallow-minded not the open minded gays for his own POLITICAL AGENDA! Come on peep..THEY ARE POLITICIANS!! What do we gain fr their selfish interest?? SO plz WAKE UP!!

Call Wilders a courageous men?? He hid himself n eat alone in a restaurant. SICKO MAN! Many of my European n non Muslim frenz agreed with me and seconded abt his sick-Hitler way of advocating his new ideologies supported by Jewish for have been always wagging wars against Muslim. Look at wot they did to d homeless peep in Gaza n d world juz watchd!!

if dis weirdo-haired Wilders doing the right things, he come forward n dun hide his pussy. Hes making d Dutch suffered in their economy too due to his blabbering mouth..juz luk @his hair..he cant even managed his own hair n women! wot kind of role model is dat?? n'way hes the duivel raising fr hell n creating his own duivel wereld..gd luck to those who voted him..

Based on some info, the Jewish organisation and right wings fr US are funding all dis..as we know SEPT 11 is all planned conspiracy by BUSH! Do u aware NO JEW died in SEPT 11?? well planned arent they??!!

If the crusade btw Wilders force against Islam is his dream, lets prepare for WW3..Im all geared for it. Wilders let us with no choice!juz luk @ the Dutch priest who was being interviewed recently, who condemned fellow Christians n Catholics for voted him..Salute to the priest!!

Christian Catholic Islam vs Jew!! Dats d real crusade!
  • jim posted:

on 11th August 2010, 21:40:36 - Reply

I think I do, Karl, I think I do.

It's because folks are afraid to raise their voices against Muslims, afraid they'll be accused of... Islamophobia (oh noooooo), or racism (of course, Islam is not a race), or intolerance, etc, etc, etc, all spurious arguments put forth by CAIR, the Muslim Brotherhood, and other Islamic supremicist organizations.

Thank God (sorry if that offends some Muslim's sensibilities -- not really) for courageous men like Geert Wilders. Thank God!
  • Karl posted:

on 11th August 2010, 21:12:45 - Reply

I think you know the answer to your question!

Kind Regards.
  • jim posted:

on 11th August 2010, 20:59:23 - Reply

I'm not a lawyer, but I thought it was against the law to go around advocating murder. If so, then why should Muslims be exempt?
  • Karl posted:

on 11th August 2010, 20:29:30 - Reply

How dare these newcomers who do not respect my heritage and try to enforce their views upon my country. Have they no respect for my ancestors and the efforts they made to fordge a civil and harmonious society for the better of all who truely want to live here with pride and a willingness to contribute.

Geert Wilders is correct in his views because the people he talks about and the religion he talks about need to learn how to properly compromise and intergrate with our proud achievements for the greater good of the nation. Leave your own agenda behind you and welcome.
  • Acciah posted:

on 11th August 2010, 18:38:19 - Reply

I truly feel bad that people today are so self centered and feel so self righteous that they would result to injuring you based on your sexual preference.

That said. I know many gay people who are my friends, who I travel with and visit. They have been attacked by Dutch White people so It can't be said that it's a problem with the Muslims, it's a problem with tolerance. Something Wilders has very little of.
  • Acciah posted:

on 11th August 2010, 18:32:35 - Reply

Please try to chastise someone else....I was talking about the hate that is being directed worldwide towards Islam the religion. For your information and educational purposes since you so freely chose to call me ignorant. Being a Muslim means being one who follows the Islamic faith. Being Islamic means you belong to the Muslim faith and chose to follow it's tenants. I'd suggest you educate yourself before you throw things out that make YOU appear ignorant...The Muslim faith has no race. But because it is widely assumed that if you are Arab you are Muslim for this conversations sake I included the word race. Lets not pretend that there isn't hatred directed towards people who are Arabs and that people don't assume that they are the only Muslims on the planet!

Being a male chauvinist does not have a monopoly within the Islamic faith. It can be found in all societies. What do you call a society that permits a 52 year old adult male to have sexual relations with a 16 year old female legally? Or a society where every commercial has sexually related overtones involving women? Oh, but save face, don't call it chauvinism!
  • Gabi posted:

on 11th August 2010, 18:28:47 - Reply

Again polemic, jim, instead of using arguments. That's lame.

I'd be much more interested in your solution, or in that of Wilders, for what it's worth. So, you want to 'ban' Islam? How?

And more importantly, what do you think would come out of it? What would you do if the currently peaceful millions would start feeling stigmatized (and rightfully so) and turn violent?

Banning is NOT a solution!
  • jim posted:

on 11th August 2010, 17:09:45 - Reply

Polemic? Darn tootin! I looked it up just to be sure, and my online dictionary says polemic means to argue against a doctrine, and that's exactly what I'm doing, arguing against the totalitarian doctrine of Islam.
  • Gabi posted:

on 11th August 2010, 16:17:07 - Reply

jim, that's polemic and you know it. I don't tolerate murder, abuse or restrictions on free speech either. But I also don't tolerate condemning other people because of their origin, faith, culture, color or any other characteristic. Banning won't work. Education might. That's all I'm saying.
  • jim posted:

on 11th August 2010, 16:09:00 - Reply

Gabi, you say to AJ that the problem is intolerance, implying that Wilders, and AJ, and anyone else who condemns Islam is intolerant.

Well, add me to the list.

I don't tolerate advocating murder.

I don't tolerate abuse of women.

I don't tolerate restrictions on free speech.

I don't tolerate speaking out of both sides of your mouth, as Muslims do when speaking to English audiences and then speaking to Arabic audiences. That's called dishonesty in civilized cultures.

So, here's to intolerance and may it lead to the defeat of Islamic supremicism!
  • Gabi posted:

on 11th August 2010, 15:56:21 - Reply

AJ, I am very sorry and very compassionate with you being a victim of violence because of your sexual orientation. It is horrible that this happened to you, and I can understand your feelings towards the attackers and also your fear of not being safe.

But as much as I feel with you, Wilders isn't the solution - instead, he's becoming more and more part of the problem, which is inherently a lack of tolerance. It can't be the solution to condemn all muslims for what happened to you (and other gay people). I am gay too, and an atheist, and I am married to a US woman, and therefore know both sides of the big pond fairly well. I have quite a few muslim friens who are accepting or supporting my sexual orientation, and I know quite a few fundamental christians (mostly in the US) who'd rather see us raped and 'corrected' than anything else.

Just as much as there are differences in the attitudes and behaviors of muslims (no matter what the khoran says), you find the same differences in western religions too. Condemning Islam and 'voting to get rid of it' can never work - it will only lead to further escalation and a hardening of the situation. You cannot just forbid an organization, particularly not a religious organization to which its members have strong emotional and cultural ties, and expect it to disappear just like that. And I hope you agree with me that genocide isn't a solution either.

I think especially with respect to muslim youth in the Netherlands there is still a wide scope of measures that haven't been systematically applied, particularly in schools. In Germany there are good and effective education programs for more tolerance and diversity. Education is the only effective thing that will change attitude, beliefs and cultures. Also for criminal offenders. Imprisonment should never be seen primarily as a means of revenge, but always as a means of safety for the public and correction of the offenders - which can only happen through education.
  • jim posted:

on 11th August 2010, 14:51:55 - Reply

Acciah, so you say Islam is a race? And also that it's a religion? You're ignorance is showing. It's nothing but an ideology, like facism, and it was started by a warlord who in today's terms would be called a "male chauvinist pig". Besides your ignorance, one other thing's obvious: you're familiar with stink.
  • AJ Den Haag posted:

on 11th August 2010, 14:05:43 - Reply

This has nothing to do with Hitler, this has to do with the complete lack of integration and respect of Dutch Laws. Sorry but I'm a gay man and I can no longer feel safe on the streets because islamic youth have attacked me, even though in this coultry I am and have just as many legal rights as they do, but they attacked me because I am gay. So please dont patronise me by saying a rose by any other name.. blah blah blah. When there is the same level of respect within the Morocan youth that I have to show them, I may change my mind. You mentioned blaming a few for what they do, how about you take a look into that and find out what a few actually do in the name of the khoran..... Then you can comment. sort your own house out first! Until then, I am voting to get rid of islam altogther in ALL Countries
  • Acciah posted:

on 11th August 2010, 13:55:40 - Reply

Since when did Wilders and his ilk care anything about the issues surrounding Muslim women? That's just said to make his racism more palatable! " A rose by any other name would smell the same.".
  • Acciah posted:

on 11th August 2010, 13:52:41 - Reply

And people wonder how Hitler got started....Remember this people..It will follow all of us through history if this man and his way of thinking aren't curbed quickly. We cannot blame and entire race or religion for what a few do..It's just wrong!
  • AJ Den Haag posted:

on 11th August 2010, 13:34:36 - Reply

Go Jim, I cant agree more! Shame that no one knows what free speech is anymore. No Politicians will open their mouths and state what they really mean as they may offend someone - thought that was free speech! Personally, I am also sick of islamisation of Western Europe - not just The Netherlands, but every Western country! He got my vote last time!!!!
  • jim smith posted:

on 7th August 2010, 23:53:27 - Reply

Wilders is not on "a crusade against Islam" as the author so erroneously states. He has become a champion of free speech, and is a watchdog against the abuses perpetrated against women by Muslims, something that all sane humans should be in agreement with. Shame on the media, including the writer of this article, for trying to paint Wilders as a "crusader against Islam".